Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Only Thing I Really Love About Laundry



The only thing that makes me smile when I do laundry is the load of pink. Just pink. Only Pink.

There was a time when I didn't think I would have a daughter. Definitely not two daughters. On both sides of the family, for our generation and the one before us, no family has 2 daughters. Perhaps having 5 brothers and 0 sisters really sort of taints one's mind.

When I was in labor with our first, I looked at Mark and asked if we were really sure about our boy name because I wanted to be sure when *he* came out. But then *he* was a *she* and God gave us the precious gift of an All Pink load of laundry.

So on this day of ordinary life. Filled with laundry, I'm thankful for the pink.

But as our recent house guests can attest. . . I also have a load of Only Blue, Only Green, and Only Red. We're a colorful bunch around here. But just mentioning those other loads is quickly deflating my outlook on today. . . Ugh. . . Let's look at the pink again.


Precious little baby girl pink . . . big girl bright pink. . . .pink blankies . . .pink jeans . .stripey pink pajamas. . . pink . . . pink . . .pink. . .

My boys also know I love them. Oh, yes they do. Someday I'll take a picture of their dirty laundry . . . with grass stains, mud-caked knees. . . holes in inopportune places. . .

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Girls are the best!!!! I've noticed that the more girls I have the more pink clothes I buy for myself. Before I had babies I don't think I owned one pink think! Now, I have plenty! Is that strange?

Shipra Panosian said...

heheh, loved this post. Smiled as soon as I saw the all pink load. How fun. Got me excited all over again (and nervous too!) about having a FEMALE baby. Though I have a feeling, we'll have several of her jeans grass stained and ratty before long too, the boys already have army men and plastic guns set aside for her :)

By the way, I think that little "what I've been shooting" slideshow on the side of your blog is a great idea. That little girl is a cutie.

Life on The Rowland Ranch said...

You just brought joy to the mundane task of laundry...thank you Jody!! :)

Life on The Rowland Ranch said...

Shipra!! We're posting comments at the exact same time!!!! WE MUST BE KINDRED SPIRITS!! :)

Amy said...

Pink, what is pink? Is there really such a color? Big sigh.

Cute post!

Mark said...

Kelly, Me too! I own more pink now than in my whole life!

Shipra, Thanks for noticing my new little update. And we think she's pretty cute too. And see, she does wear a color besides pink sometimes! Am so excited you get to have pink at your house soon!

Jane, I'm so glad to provide a gathering place for old friends. . .same time tomorrow?

Amy, Try, and try, again . . . :)

Ginger said...

I love doing laundry!! But maybe that's because I'm never the one folding it. ;)
How many clothes can 1 child dirty in a week anyway, that she gets her own load?? ha!